Mosquitoes are a nuisance to people all over the world. These pests can transmit potent diseases. In the United States alone, the number of mosquito vector-borne disease cases in 2018 was 53,591. Globally, mosquitoes are responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands each year.
While serious issues aren’t as prevalent in the United States as in other areas of the world, if you’ve seen mosquitoes around your property in New Braunfels, it’s essential to take action immediately. Contact a qualified New Braunfels pest control company to help you get rid of these bloodsuckers for good.
What Is The Purpose Of Mosquitoes In New Braunfels?
The greatest irony is that mosquitoes are a vital part of the ecosystem. Even though they have a terrible reputation for being pests and dangerous, they play a pivotal role in our lives. They help with:
- Pollination: Male mosquitoes don’t feed on blood. Instead, they consume the nectar of plants to get their energy. When they visit flowers, they help pollinate them by transferring pollen from plant to plant as they fly around looking for food.
- Food Source: Mosquitoes are an important part of the food chain. They provide food for many animals, such as bats, spiders, birds, frogs, and dragonflies. In turn, these animals help control the population of mosquitoes.
- Decomposers: Mosquitoes decompose dead animals and plants, which helps to put nutrients back into the soil.
- Control of other insects: Mosquitoes also feed on other insects. They feast on the larvae of gnats, flies, and midges.
- Job opportunities: Believe it or not, mosquitoes are a big business. They’re used in biomedical research to test the effects of new drugs and vaccines. Some companies also use them for genetic research and mosquito control.
Despite their crucial role in the ecosystem, mosquitoes are still a nuisance to people. That’s why it’s important to contact a qualified pest control company if you’re seeing these bloodsuckers around your property. They can help you get rid of mosquitoes.
A Brief History Of Mosquito Control
People have been aware of the dangers of mosquitoes as early as ancient times. One of the first known attempts to control mosquito populations was made in Egypt over 500 years ago.
In America, people began taking steps to stop the spread of malaria by eliminating mosquito habitats in 1865. This led to massive drainage projects between 1900 and 1930s in Florida, Louisiana, and Texas. However, these efforts did not wholly eliminate disease-carrying mosquitoes because they only focused on one type: Anopheles quadrimaculatus.
After World War II ended, scientists discovered new insecticides that killed many different species of mosquitoes. This led to the widespread use of DDT and other pesticides for mosquito control. However, these chemicals also had harmful effects on the environment and human health.
Today, scientists have developed more targeted methods for mosquito control, such as using larvicides to kill immature mosquitoes before they can become adults. They are also working on new ways to kill mosquitoes, such as introducing predators or using genetic modification.
The Diseases Mosquitoes Can Transmit
The list of diseases caused by mosquitoes is long and includes:
- Zika virus
- Dengue fever
- West Nile virus
- Heartworm in dogs, cats, and other mammals
Mosquitoes can be challenging to control. Consequently, if you have pests around your New Braunfels property, it’s best to contact a certified pest control company. They can help protect your family from the diseases they transmit.
Natural Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard
There are a few things you can do to help keep mosquitoes away from your yard without using pesticides:
- Remove standing water
- Install or repair screens on doors and windows
- Essential oils to get rid of mosquitos
- Maintain plants and shrubs
- Treat any ponds or pools with a larvacide
Ultimately, the best option to get rid of mosquitoes from your property is to contact a pest exterminator. Contact Daniel Pest Control for all your mosquito needs. Our experts use pesticides as well as natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes for good.
Call us today for your free quote!
When mice invade your New Braunfels home, you may be […]