What are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are pests that cause significant problems inside homes across the country. Not only do they bite us to feed on our blood, but they disrupt our sleep and make us uncomfortable.
Bed bugs are problematic in our homes because they thrive in temperature-controlled environments, and we provide them with a constant food source. The blood of warm-blooded animals is the sole food source for bed bugs, and people happen to be their preferred hosts.
Are bed bugs dangerous?
There are many different types of insects that may find their way into our Texas homes, but it can’t be argued that one of the most feared and unwanted is the bed bug.
Contrary to popular belief, bed bugs aren’t considered dangerous pests but rather nuisance pests. Even though they feed on our blood, they aren’t known to transmit diseases to people during the feeding process.
The biggest reason bed bugs are such a problem in our homes is that they bite us and feed on our blood in our sleep. Blood-feeding pests should never be allowed to live freely in any of our homes.
Also, people allergic to their saliva will develop a red itchy rash around the bite sites. Scratching at the bites can lead to scabbing, scarring, and even secondary infections.
Why do I have a bed bug problem?
Bed bugs are in our homes because they were brought in accidentally. They will stay in our homes because they have access to their favorite food source — human blood.
Though most other household pests feed on the same things we do, bed bugs feed on our blood. Bed bugs move from place to place by hitchhiking on people or our belongings.
These blood-feeding pests can become a problem in any home; they are not attracted to food, filth, or moisture; they simply go wherever we take them.
Where will I find bed bugs?
You can come into contact with bed bugs in a variety of places, but public places where people come and go from regularly are the most common; examples include:
- Hotels and motels
- Movie theaters and libraries
- Schools and hospitals
- Laundry mats
If bed bugs are ever introduced into your home, knowing where they are likely to hide will help you identify an infestation in its infancy. Some of their most common hiding spots in our homes are listed below.
- The seams of mattresses and box springs
- Along the edges of bed frames
- Behind the cushions of upholstered furniture
- Under rugs and behind baseboards
- Under piles of laundry and clutter
- Behind wall hangings like pictures and clocks
- Behind wood trim
- Inside of electrical outlets or electrical switches
How do I get rid of bed bugs?
Bed bugs are pests that must be eliminated with the help of a trained and experienced professional. Daniel Pest Control can provide you with the bed bug control services necessary to reach your end goal, a home free of bed bugs.
Our bed bug control professionals will eliminate all bed bugs by performing a thorough inspection to pinpoint the infestation and then providing the most effective treatments possible to eradicate every adult, nymph, and egg from your house.
If you live in Seguin, Texas, or our surrounding areas, reach out to us at Daniel Pest Control. By partnering with us, you will sleep soundly knowing that the job is done correctly and bed bugs won’t be biting you in your sleep!
How can I prevent bed bugs in the future?
The following tips and tricks will help you keep bed bugs off your property.
- Never bring secondhand items into your home without first inspecting them for bed bugs.
- If possible, never purchase secondhand mattresses or box springs for your house.
- Encase your family’s mattresses in bed bug-proof covers to take away their favorite hiding places.
- When washing bedding or your family’s clothing, always use the highest heat setting the fabric can handle.
- Regularly vacuum your home to pick up stray bed bugs.
- Never pile dirty laundry on the ground and remove areas of clutter that can hide an infestation.
Bed bugs will not move out of your house on their own but instead will become a bigger and bigger problem. Daniel Pest Control offers home bed bug control services to eliminate your problem and help you get back to sleeping well at night.